wild lord howe
3-10 December 2018
Join Henry and Dave as we venture to the bird photography paradise that is Lord Howe Island!
Our Wild Lord Howe Bird & Nature Photography Workshop will be a unique opportunity to flock together to hone your skills and capture some breathtaking images.
Lord Howe Island is an island paradise 600km off the east coast of the Australian mainland. Dominated by the iconic mountain skyline of Mts Lidgbird and Gower to the south, and fringed by the most southerly coral reef in the world, this truly is a magical place.
It is home to the endangered endemic Lord Howe Woodhen, as well as numerous breeding seabird species such as the angelic White Tern and noisy red-tailed Tropicbird.
at a glance
Flights to and from the island (ex Sydney) are included, and we'll be spending 7 nights together staying at Blue Lagoon Lodge.
Blue Lagoon is perfectly situated between the lagoon and Ned's Beach, and also a stones throw from the wonderful Anchorage cafe/restaurant (mmm coffee...)
Obviously we'll be capturing plenty of bird images! We'll also have some fun doing time-lapses and a bit of landscape photography. And don't forget your GoPro or underwater camera as there will also be opportunities for snorkelling the reef and looking for turtles!
all skill levels
You don't need to be an expert photographer with a super telephoto lens to enjoy this workshop. A lot of the species we will encounter can allow a closer approach, so whatever camera you have there is no doubt that you will still learn a lot and have great fun doing it!
Weather permitting, we're planning on a boat trip to the imposing Ball's Pyramid with local legends Jack Shick and Ian Hutton.
A great opportunity to test your sea-legs and bird in flight skills as we target petrels, shearwaters, and storm-petrels.
* 7 Nights Accommodation at Blue Lagoon
* Return Qantaslink flights ex Sydney
* Expert Photographic and Ecological Tuition
* Morning and Afternoon outings focussing on different birds & techniques including wide-angle and super telephotos, birds in flight and more
* Classroom sessions on Photographic techniques, composition and Post Processing
* Practical Sessions on Landscape photography - long exposures, time-lapse, and Wildlife cinematography!
* Boat trip to Balls Pyramid with Jack Shick & Ian Hutton (weather permitting)
* Glass Bottom boat cruise & Snorkelling at North Bay
* Museum lecture with Ian Hutton
* Airport transfers on Lord Howe Island
* Welcome Dinner
* Farewell Dinner
* Bike Hire
$5495.00 PER PERSON*
*Twin Share. Single Supplement cost available on request.
* The only meals included are the Welcome & Farewell Dinners. All other meals, drinks, snacks are your responsibility, however we will organise to eat together at various venues around the island.
* It could potentially be hot over there so be prepared with hat, sunscreen, appropriate clothing including wet weather jacket.
* As with any tour, unfortunately we cannot control the weather or indeed the wildlife. The itinerary will be flexible to make the most of the weather - especially in regards to boat trips.
* The boat trip to Ball's Pyramid is dependant on the weather conditions and will be decided on by skipper Jack Shick.
* Ensure that you have relevant sea-sickness medication. Contact us for tips.
* A reasonable level of fitness is required to walk up Malabar Hill and some other walks. We will certainly be taking our time and not rushing though.