WILD CHANNEL COUNRY - western queensland
26 August - 1 September 2019
The Flock are flying to remote western Queensland for an unforgettable journey into Australia's true outback!
Our Wild Channel Country tour starts in Longreach, home of the QANTAS museum and the Stockman's Hall of Fame, and from there we leave the bitumen behind and head to Noonbah Station, a working cattle property owned by one of Australia's greatest naturalists, Angus Emmott, along with his lovely wife Karen.
'Noonbah' is a 52,000 hectare cattle station managed by Angus and Karen in an environmentally sustainable manner, and never over-grazed. Over 200 species of birds have been recorded there and there is even a local Splendid Fairy-wren subspecies named after the Emmotts - Malurus splendens emmottorum.
Whilst at Noonbah we will be looked after with home-cooked country meals, and put up in shared farm cottage accommodation.
Our first night will be in motel accommodation in Longreach where we will look for Brolgas and then watch the sunset on a cruise along the Thompson River.
The next morning we head to Noonbah stopping along the way wherever we see anything interesting.
The next five nights will be staying in one of the cottages on the property and exploring the true outback of the Vergemont Channel country..
We'll be venturing into different habitats, home to species such as Budgies, Hall’s Babbler, Major Mitchell Cockatoos, Zebra & hopefully Plum-headed Finches, Splendid Fairy-wrens, Red-capped Robins and various honeyeaters.
We’ll constantly be on the lookout for mammals and reptiles, and out in the evenings looking for Spotted Nightjars.
We'll also have some fun doing time-lapses and a bit of landscape photography, and have time during the middle of each day for a bit of a siesta or to look at image editing, composition and the art of image making.
all skill levels
You don't need to be an expert photographer with a super telephoto lens to enjoy this trip.
Whatever camera you have there is no doubt that you will still learn a lot and have great fun doing it!
This tour is designed to be fun and suit most fitness levels.
* 6 Nights Accommodation - First night in Longreach then 5 nights at Noonbah Station
* All meals! Home cooked country food!
* Expert Photographic and Ecological Tuition
* Morning and Afternoon outings focussing on different birds & techniques
* Classroom sessions on Photographic techniques, composition and Post Processing
* Practical Sessions on Birds In Flight, Night Photography, Macro
* Practical Sessions on Landscape photography - long exposures, time-lapse
Target Species include Major Mitchells, Splendid Fairy-wren, Hall’s Babbler, honeyeaters, Spotted Nightjar, Diamond Dove, Spinifex Pigeon, Brolga, Red Kangaroo and much more!
$3795 PER PERSON*
*Ex Longreach. Cottage Share Accommodation. Camping Extension not included in this price
Not Included: Flights to and from Longreach.
* It could potentially be hot out there so be prepared with hat, sunscreen, appropriate clothing.
* As with any tour, unfortunately we cannot control the weather or indeed the wildlife. The itinerary will be flexible to make the most of the weather and any target species. This part of the country can be incredibly variable in terms of species numbers and diversity depending on prior rainfall which we obviously can’t predict in advance.
* As with all of our tours we strongly recommend getting travel and camera insurance
Join us for a truly remote camping extension even further out into the middle of nowhere!
The plan is to head west towards Diamantina National Park to seek out some rarer species such as Gibberbird, Grey Falcon and Striated (Rusty) Grassrwen.
We’ll also visit Lark Quarry to see the famous Dinosaurs Trackway.
Conditions at the time will dictate exactly where we end up, as we wouldn’t want to pass up something fantastic happening in a different direction such as a murmuration of budgies, or indeed a Flock trip to see a flock of Flock Bronzewings!
5 nights total
4 nights Camping with a final night at the North Gregory Hotel in Winton.
This will be basic swag and stretcher camping with few facilities, although all beds will have a million stars! If a shower and toilet are a must for you then this isn’t the trip for you!
Our planned route at this stage involves about 1500km, all on unsealed roads and no towns or fuel stations until we get to Winton for the last night. We will have three well equipped 4wd vehicles for safety and to carry enough fuel and equipment, and all meals and camping gear will be supplied.
Guiding and tuition will of course continue throughout from Henry, Dave & Angus.
Camping Extension Cost $3595 per person
Target species for our camping extension include Grey Falcon, Gibberbird, Rusty Grasswren, Rufous-crowned Emu-wren, Letter-winged Kite, Flock Bronzewing, Inland Dotterel, Red-tailed Black Cockatoo and more