broome bird observatory
6-11 August 2018
Teaming up with the Broome Bird Observatory for this awesome 5 night adventure to one of the biggest bird hotspots in Australia.
If you love seeing big flocks of shorebirds (and let's face it - who here doesn't!) then this trip is for you!
at a glance
Broome Bird Observatory is a Birdlife Australia research and education facility established in 1988. Their principal aim is to work for the conservation of migratory shorebirds visiting Roebuck Bay.
Flock wildlife are honoured to be partnering with the BBO to offer a unique 5 day experience where you will be led by both Henry and Dave, as well as the warden of the observatory Nigel Jackett (a great photographer in his own right!)
Broome Bird Observatory has unequalled access to the hundreds of thousands of migratory shorebirds which visit the region. At least 25,000 shorebirds are present throughout the dry season, with numbers building from late July. You'll learn the amazing story of the lives of these birds and witness the vast roosting flocks on beautiful beaches during high tide - one of nature's greatest sights!
not just waders
There are so many other species that we will be targeting too. Bush birds, Raptors, Finches, Mangrove specialties like White-breasted Whistler, Mangrove Golden Whistler and Mangrove Fantail...
No doubt there will be some reptile searching and even the possibility of Bilby!
Not only will you come home with a hard drive full of great images, you will also be directly supporting the work of Birdlife Australia through the Broome Bird Observatory.
There is also a discount for Birdlife Australia Members!
* 5 Nights Accommodation at the Broome Bird Observatory
* All meals included
* Expert Photographic and Ecological Tuition
* Morning and afternoon field outings focussing on different birds & techniques:
Getting close to shorebirds - getting wet and dirty!
* Access to private properties for field excursions chasing birds of the Roebuck Plains
* Mangrove birds
* Classroom sessions from Flock Wildlife on Photographic techniques, Composition and Post Processing
* Classroom session on shorebird, tern and raptors identification from BBO
* Spotlighting at night for reptiles and owls
* Mammal spotting - including the possibility of Bilby
$3650 per person*
* plus a 10% discount for Birdlife Australia members!
* You need to organise your own flights to Broome.
* It could potentially be quite hot out there so be prepared with hat, sunscreen, appropriate clothing etc
*Getting close to shorebirds usually requires laying on down on the sand etc so a reasonable degree of fitness required.
* As with any tour, unfortunately we cannot control the weather or indeed the wildlife. We'll do everything in our power to find the best subjects to photograph but this isn't a tour to try to tick off as many species as possible.
*We always advise that you organise your own travel and equipment insurance.